The U.N. suspends Syrian peace talks until late this month. The U.S. plans to quadruple military spending in Europe as a signal to Russia. And American officials express concern about ISIS in Libya. A panel of journalists joins guest host Tom Gjelten for analysis of the week's top international news stories.
The Vioxx recall is just the latest of several episodes this year that have prompted criticism of the FDA and Senate hearings. A panel talks about the drug approval process, post-marketing safety surveillance, and how the agency’s work affects Americans’ health and safety.
- Dr. Jerry Avorn author of "Powerful Medicines," professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, and chief of the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston
- Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa), ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee
- Marc Kaufman reporter on the national desk of "The Washington Post"
- Alan Goldhammer, PhD associate vice president for regulatory affairs at the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA)
- Dr. Sandra Kweder deputy director of the FDA's Office of New Drugs
Most Recent Shows
As the New Hampshire primary looms, Republicans brawl over tactics used in the Iowa caucuses. The F.B.I. joins the Flint drinking water investigation. And President Obama calls for religious tolerance at his first mosque visit. A panel of journalists joins Diane for analysis of the week's top national news stories.
Julian Borger: “The Butcher’s Trail: How The Search For Balkan War Criminals Became The World’s Most Successful Manhunt”
After the 1990s conflicts in the former Yugoslavia, the international community identified 161 suspected war criminals. Fourteen years later, every single person on the wanted list had been captured. The Guardian's diplomatic editor recounts one of the most successful manhunts in history.
Two top military officers say this week women should register for future military drafts. This comes after the recent decision to open all combat roles to female service members. The changing role of women in the military.